I have had this on my mind for quite some time already and I thought that the time before the year passes might be good to introduce this idea.
Let's get some Bounties rolling...
Bounties are a good way to draw attention to questions. There are various reasons, why one would want to award bounties. I like it when there are a few questions in the featured tab of the main site. It sure feels great getting one, but it also is awesome to see that the offered bounty pays out in a very good answer.
Now sometimes you come across a good question that did not get the necessary attention to draw some good answers. You might be interested in the answer, but not as interested as giving away your hard earned reputation.
I have passed the magic 10k threshold some time ago and as a moderator I do not need any more reputation points any way. So I decided to bounty off some. The general aim is to gain some top quality answers and to give back a token of gratitude.
(Also it might push some people higher on the privileges chain, so that they can more effectively help me moderate the page \(^O^)/)
What are the rules for this?
It's quite simple. There are only a few rules.
- A question that should be awarded a bounty to draw attention should be at least about a month old. (Preferably the asker is still active.)
- Should have a score of five or more, but not more than 15.
- Should not have an accepted answer. (In cases that the answer is outdated this point can be voided.)
- The last bounty on this question may not be younger than half a year.
- No homework questions.
- An answer that is excellent (score > 15), but not the accepted answer, can get an additional bounty to mark it as great.
- The question must be of our minimal quality standards, proper formatting, etc.
- The answer should not yet have a bounty awarded.
- The answerer must not be a 10k reputation user or yourself.
Conditions are subject to change.
How to enter?
Post an answer here with the current title and link to the question and answer. Make sure the post follows the above guidelines. Please also state why the linked post should be bountied. Wait.
You can enter as many questions as you find interesting. Obviously this is an experiment and we will have to evaluate the experience eventually, but I think this is not coming too soon.
I will probably go though the list Fridays before leaving into the weekend and feature the question I liked most. It's also most likely that I will award a bounty around that time.
Have fun and please don't be shy.
Can I become a sponsor?
First of all: Thank you for considering that option. Obviously it would be very selfish of me to be the only one handing out the bounties, so of course this is allowed.
If you think that you have gained sufficient reputation and want to get rid of some yourself, find a post from the list that you like and feature it. When you do, add an editorial note above the body stating when you applied (or later awarded) the bounty. That's it, nothing more. Have fun with it.
If you have any questions, please use the comment section to ask them. Posts that are no entries might get deleted as NAA.