Some of these questions do have answers, but these answers have negative votes. Only questions with upvotes will be removed from the list. In addition, this list has new questions sprinkled throughout! That means other questions have become popular and need attention, please take a look at the list and answer what you see fit.
How you can help:
- Answer some of these questions!
- Edit questions to make them more polished.
- Start a bounty on some of the more interesting questions.
- Support askers and answerers with upvotes where deserved. If you take a look at the edits made to this question, you can find questions that have been answered by the lovely members of the community.
I modified a query to fit Chem.SE to give us unanswered questions (that are open) and have a high number of views. You can also run the query for one or two answers if you want.
I did find that there were some questions that were quite popular and disappointingly did not contain any answers.
If anyone would like to handle some of these questions, that would be amazing!
Please edit these questions as you see fit (and fix any weird tags.) There is a lot of re-titling to be done and much-needed language cleanup or clarity in the body of the questions. Please upvote the good ones and downvote the bad ones into oblivion.
Below are the Top* 20 questions that need answers. Why twenty? I feel that more variety in the questions shown here increases the chance they'll get answers.
Hit the 'ole star button on this meta post to get notified of updates.
Here are the top 20 questions needing answers:
- Mechanism for an Étard reaction (chromium complex)
- Melting and boiling point trend in Group II
- How does VB theory explain the bond angles in SiO2?
- Mechanism of toluene oxidation with CrO3
- Why do NaNO3 + Al + NaOH yield ammonia?
- Reaction of phenol and zinc dust
- At what temperature does charcoal burn?
- Comparing first, second, and third ionization energies between atoms
- Does electron shielding increase or stay constant moving LEFT to RIGHT across a period?
- dU/dV in van der Waals equation of state derivation
- Which is more electronegative: chlorine or nitrogen?
- How to make a primary alcohol from an alkane?
- What exactly is going on in this reaction: sodium bicarbonate (supersaturated aqueous), isopropyl alcohol, and acetic acid (vinegar)?
- Why is mercury's surface tension so high, when its viscosity is low?
- Electrolysis of concentrated sulphuric acid
- Why isn't viscosity considered a property of solids?
- Typical values of activation energies?
- Oxidation of naphthalene with KMnO4
- How to identify the anode and cathode in a concentration cell?
- How is the structure of triiodide ion (I3-) possible?
I will update the above list...
*Note: Some of the top questions are homework questions which only required a yes or no in comments. I thus excluded them from this list as they do not really require an answer.
Do please comment any objections to the posted questions and I'll find another to replace it.