Some of these questions do have answers, but these answers have negative votes. Only questions with upvotes will be removed from the list. In addition, this list has new questions sprinkled throughout! That means other questions have become popular and need attention, please take a look at the list and answer what you see fit.
How you can help:
- Answer some of these questions!
- Edit questions to make them more polished.
- Start a bounty on some of the more interesting questions.
- Support askers and answerers with upvotes where deserved. If you take a look at the edits made to this question, you can find questions that have been answered by the lovely members of the community.
I modified a query to fit Chem.SE to give us unanswered questions (that are open) and have a high number of views. You can also run the query for one or two answers if you want.
I did find that there were some questions that were quite popular and disappointingly did not contain any answers.
If anyone would like to handle some of these questions, that would be amazing!
Please edit these questions as you see fit (and fix any weird tags.) There is a lot of re-titling to be done and much-needed language cleanup or clarity in the body of the questions. Please upvote the good ones and downvote the bad ones into oblivion.
Below are the Top 20 questions that need answers. Why twenty? I feel that more variety in the questions shown here increases the chance they'll get answers.
Hit the 'ole star button on this meta post to get notified of updates.
Here are the top 20 questions needing answers:
- How to Calculate Transition Dipole Moment from Two Known Wavefunctions
- Do Cyclohexane-1,3-diones Give Positive Haloform Reactions?
- Can we use phosphorous triiodide in Hell-Volhard-Zelinsky reaction?
- Effect of Zn dust reduction of phenolic -OH group on other groups
- Why does magnesium prefer to insert into C–Br bonds over C–Cl bonds?
- Why is the bond angle of N-N-N in hydrogen azide not 180 degrees?
- At what temperature does charcoal burn?
- Why is mercury's surface tension so high, when its viscosity is low?
- What does Molecular Orbital Theory get wrong?
- Why does reduction using sodium borohydride require a protic solvent?
- Role of pH in azo C-coupling reaction, continued
- What is the fabric in heating mantles made of?
- Inter electronic repulsion in s and d orbitals
- Steady-state approximation for the destruction of ozone
- Is hydronium an electrophile, nucleophile, both or neither?
- Tables/database/literature of specific or optical rotation
- What are the limitations of the Born-Lande' equation?
- Why do NaNO3 + Al + NaOH yield ammonia?
- How to determine the iron content in spinach from a titration with permanganate solution?
- Why does reduction of naphthalene with nickel/hydrogen lead to trans-decalin?
I will update the above list...
Do please comment any objections to the posted questions and I'll find another to replace it.