Some of these questions do have answers, but these answers have negative votes. Only questions with upvotes will be removed from the list. In addition, this list has new questions sprinkled throughout! That means other questions have become popular and need attention, please take a look at the list and answer what you see fit.
How you can help:
- Answer some of these questions!
- Edit questions to make them more polished.
- Start a bounty on some of the more interesting questions.
- Support askers and answerers with upvotes where deserved. If you take a look at the edits made to this question, you can find questions that have been answered by the lovely members of the community.
I modified a query to fit Chem.SE to give us unanswered questions (that are open) and have a high number of views. You can also run the query for one or two answers if you want.
I did find that there were some questions that were quite popular and disappointingly did not contain any answers.
If anyone would like to handle some of these questions, that would be amazing!
Please edit these questions as you see fit (and fix any weird tags.) There is a lot of re-titling to be done and much-needed language cleanup or clarity in the body of the questions. Please upvote the good ones and downvote the bad ones into oblivion.
Below are the Top* 20 questions that need answers. Why twenty? I feel that more variety in the questions shown here increases the chance they'll get answers.
Hit the 'ole star button on this meta post to get notified of updates.
Here are the top 20 questions needing answers:
- Mechanism for an Étard reaction (chromium complex)
- Melting and boiling point trend in Group II
- Why is o-fluorophenol a stronger acid than p-fluorophenol?
- Ionization enthalpy for group 13 elements
- Bond angle order of SF2, OF2, HOF
- How to determine the iron content in spinach from a titration with permanganate solution?
- Electrolysis of concentrated sulphuric acid
- Can we use phosphorous triiodide in Hell-Volhard-Zelinsky reaction?
- Which is more electronegative: chlorine or nitrogen?
- SN1 reactivity order for chloromethyl methyl ether and trityl chloride
- At what temperature does charcoal burn?
- Why does magnesium prefer to insert into C–Br bonds over C–Cl bonds?
- Cyanide's Lewis structure - electronegativity or octet rule?
- Is iron(III) carbonate stable in water?
- Why can phosphorus have 5 bonds while nitrogen cannot?
- Why is mercury's surface tension so high, when its viscosity is low?
- Oxidation of alkenes by selenium dioxide to diketones
- Synthesis of Anthracene: Mechanism
- Why is enol content higher in non-polar solvents?
- Is hydronium an electrophile, nucleophile, both or neither?
I will update the above list...
*Note: Some of the top questions are homework questions which only required a yes or no in comments. I thus excluded them from this list as they do not really require an answer.
*Note: Considering Melanie has stopped updates, I (Safdar Faisal) shall be taking over and checking once every few weeks for updates. Everything else shall remain as she left it.
Do please comment any objections to the posted questions and I'll find another to replace it.