This has resulted in a varied application of the tag. Of the 167 open questions, many could use alternate and well-defined tags:
- this could use rare-earth-elements instead
- this could use ions instead
- this and this could use nomenclature instead
- this could use transition-elements instead
- this could use pnictogen instead
and there's many, many more.
Though, there are some ambiguous cases, that wouldn't make sense if elements was removed.
- this question wouldn't make sense if only tagged color
- this question wouldn't make sense if only tagged density
- this simply doesn't seem to fit in any tags
So, definitely, the elements is being misused. And this meta post aims to find a solution for this tag.
If you consider leaving a comment, consider leaving an answer instead so that others can vote on it and we can reach a conclusion. If there's already an answer supporting your view, consider voting on it instead.
Side-note: this meta post is supposed to reach a decision regarding elements, and in no way intends to be a call-to-action to start retagging all questions within the next 24 hours. This to decide the what and the why part, not the when part.