You may be familiar with the project for questions with tons of views, but no answers. This is a bit different. Here, we are celebrating the unsung heroes: questions that have garnered some love on-site with plenty of upvotes but have not been answered.
There are the types of questions that might pique your interest in an area of chemistry you're not terribly familiar with or perhaps are just cool. They're likely all worth checking out.
Some of these questions may have answers, but these answers have negative votes. Only questions with upvotes will be removed from the list. Please take a look at the list and answer where you can, polish the question, upvote that which is worthy, and push some of these questions on their path to obtaining some great answers.
How you can help:
- Answer some of these questions!
- Edit questions to make them more polished.
- Start a bounty on some of the more interesting questions.
- Support askers and answerers with upvotes where deserved. If you take a look at the edits made to this question, you can find questions that have been answered by the lovely members of the community.
I modified a query to fit Chem.SE to give us unanswered questions (that are open) and have a high number of upvotes.
Below are the Top* 20 most-love and unanswered questions. Why twenty? I feel that more variety in the questions shown here increases the chance they'll get answers.
Hit the 'ole star button on this meta post to get notified of updates.
Our unsung heroes:
- Linear PEI Solution Making
- Does the alpha effect apply to third row elements?
- Disproportionation of Au(II)
- What is required to achieve 999.9999 or finer gold?
- How can organocuprates generated with catalytic Cu(I) be competitive in 1,4-addition to an enone?
- What is the mechanism for this reaction?
- Why old gasoline has more "kick"?
- Why does the exchange interaction in Hartree-Fock theory lower the total energy?
- Using Ethylene Glycol as anti-freeze in a biodigester gas storage system
- Polymers that aren't brittle at the cryogenic temperatures found on Titan?
- Is there a structured data source containing information on the World Health Organisation's Stability Testing Policies?
- How well will molten iron chrysolite (fayalite) react with hydrogen?
- Oxide content description
- Triplet oxygen ene reaction with enols
- Calculating Triplet-Triplet Spin-Orbit Coupling
- Stereoselectivity of 1,3-dipolar cycloadditions
- Neutral and positively-charged polyoxometalates - proper name for the class of compounds
- Can pi backdonation occur on non-metal centers?
- Would cerium(III) in solution be oxidized to cerium(IV) in ESI mass spectroscopy?
- Etymology of "normality"
I will update the above list periodically.
Do please comment any objections to the posted questions and I'll find another to replace it.