- Quora page: http://www.quora.com/Alex-K-Chen
- Google+: http://profiles.google.com/simfish
- Email: simfish+s[at]gmail.com
Feel free to stalk my Internet name(s) if you wish - it's how I make most of my closest contacts these days. Just note that I don't really believe in social constructs when they get in the way of satisficing (or in the way of my goal of learning as much as possible).
Don't take anything I say/do too seriously. A lot of the things I do (that may look weird/stupid on the outside) are the types of things that help me adjust my posterior probability of various things - especially low probability events.Sometimes I hit on a jackpot/very interesting idea. I'm kind of messy since it helps facilitate creative destruction.
I have a lot of respect for all of the sciences. Tactically, I'm developing heuristics for rationality, impartiality, anti-laziness, and creation+identification+searching for what's relevant+reliable. Strategically, I just want to learn everything.
A lot of my thought processes involve my creating new hypotheses and refuting them on my own. I still document the thought process since it's important and may be important for future "true" hypotheses.
Member for 8 years, 9 months
1 profile view
Last seen Oct 9 '14 at 1:59
- Academia 10.7k 10.7k 88 gold badges4141 silver badges106106 bronze badges
- Earth Science 7.4k 7.4k 11 gold badge1818 silver badges5656 bronze badges
- Unix & Linux 5.1k 5.1k 1111 gold badges3737 silver badges4141 bronze badges
- Physics 3.6k 3.6k 11 gold badge1515 silver badges3232 bronze badges
- Psychology & Neuroscience 2.3k 2.3k 1515 silver badges3333 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 143 How do I do a ls and then sort the results by date created?
- 116 How do you get a bad transcript past Ph.D. admissions?
- 75 Move all files with a certain extension from multiple subdirectories into one directory
- 61 Software to use for creating posters for academic conferences?
- 61 How do I list all installed programs?
- 53 If you get stuck in research, at what point in time should you ask for help?
- 52 How do I remove "permission denied" printout statements from the find program?
- View more network posts →